Karaage is enjoyed all year round. It is a soy-flavored chicken that is marinated in a tangy mix of garlic, ginger and soy sauce. It is usually accompanied by lemon or mayonnaise as dip. The chicken is perfectly soft, yet sturdy enough for texture.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
300-400g Chiken breast or leg meat
1 big spoon of grated ginger
1 big spoon of grated garlic
2 big spoons of soysauce
2 big spoon of cooking sake
3-4 spoon of starch (katakuriko 片栗粉)
Oil enough to deep fry the chicken.
*Big spoon = 15 ml
1. Cut the meat into 5cm cube or appropriate size.
2. Mix grated ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sake then soak the meat. Leave over night if possible or at least 1-2 hours.
3. Mix an egg and starch until it gets sticky (see photo!)
4. Heat oil in pot, high nough to deep fry the chicken.
5. Dip the entire surface of the chicken in the egg and starch prepared at No. 3 and place the chicken in the pot of oil.
7. Remove chicken and place over kitchen paper towel to absorb excess oil, and serve immediately!